- Not to be confused with worlds.
Biomes are good for farming, as some resources collected there can be transferred to the world. There is also some unique loot that can only be acquired in biomes.
Some monsters can only be found in specific biomes.
Modes[edit | edit source]
Biomes can be played in single player, PvP or coop.
Entering a Biome[edit | edit source]
- Craft the improved portal;
- Open the Craft Menu in the Equipment tab and place the spell in slot of the quick bar;
- Select the spell in the quick bar and left-click in any place in the world.
A popup window will show the following options:
- Mode: PvP or Cooperative
- Invite friend: yes or no
- Biome (more than one is chooseable)
Single player[edit | edit source]
To be sure to play a biome in single player mode:
- Cast the spell
- Deselect all biomes except 1 and put it first on the list
- Deselect PvP and select Coop
- Check the "Invite friend" option
- Close the Steam friends popup list, and wait for the next popup:
Enter the biome in single player mode?
- Click "Yes".
PvP[edit | edit source]
Coop[edit | edit source]
Dwarfs[edit | edit source]
Six is the maximum number of dwarfs in a biome. They are choosen randomly from the original world and travel to the biome keeping their name and skills, but they arrive in the biome with no armor or equipment.
Dead dwarfs are gone for good, however, if there is a Soul Keeper set up at home, the player can resurrect them once leaving the biome.
If a dwarf dies there is a button at the top of the UI to bring another dwarf from home.
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Rules to all biomes:
- Restless dwarfs guard the boost rooms.
- There are no typically annoying creatures like giant spiders, giant worms, larvas and ghosts; except rats, these can appear in all biomes.
- There are no typically wave creatures like beholders, gargoyles, giant skeletons, zombies armor-breakers and giant throwers.
- There are no guardians.
- There are no dragons on the lava level.
- (DLC Sisters in Arms) The player starts with one pet house in the inventory and can craft more. The number of pets though, follows the general rule: if 6 dwarfs, 3 pets.
- Animals that provide wool and leather are present in the Forest and the Underground biomes.
- There are hens in the Forest biome, but there are no flying octopi in the Underground.
- There are no Cave Spirits in the Underground World.
- Hidden rooms are populated as usual with mechanical guardians, ancient gargoyles, skeletons and zombies (inside the doors).
See the special creatures at the list below.
Challenge[edit | edit source]
Each biome has a specific goal to be acomplished. This goal always consists in removing a construction that is protected or surrounded by special creatures. Completing the challenge awards the player with some of the possible biome loot. This loot will be available once back to the world.
Farming[edit | edit source]
Besides the special loot, biomes are useful to ensure that there is no shortage of raw resources in worlds, even when the whole map is dug up.
To take resources from the biome, items like ingots, armors, helmets, weapons, etc. must be disassembled to the state of nuggets, because only raw resources are transferred back to the world.
And there is a limit for the amount of each resource to be transferred. This amount is ten times the number of dwarfs alive plus ten for each resource. As the max number of dwarfs in a biome is six, the maximum amount of each resource that can be transferred to the world is
(10 x 6) + 10 = 70, so, seventy of each resource.
Types[edit | edit source]
There are four biomes, each one with their special creatures and loot:
Pause and Save[edit | edit source]
There is no way to pause a game in biome. Even if playing single player. Pressing 'ESC' to open the main menu will display "Paused" in an overlay, but the in-game time does not stops at all.
And there is no way to save a game in biome. If the player quits before completing the challenge, all the progress will be lost and no resources will be transferred to the original world.
Some players though have noticed that quiting without acomplishing the challenge, but after 30 in-game minutes does allow the raw resources to be transferred.
History[edit | edit source]
|1.4.015||25 Sep 2018||Fixed gathering of loot by dwarfs in biomes near a stockpile.|
|1.4.013||25 Dec 2017||Fixed: biomes did not show resource icons on zoom out.|
|1.4.002||24 Mar 2017||Fixed: the player always got into the same biome, regardless of the settings.|
|1.4.000||21 Mar 2017||Now the cost of a spell is displayed near the cursor if it increases while moving away from the stockpile.|
|1.3.005||2 Nov 2016||Fixed layering of texts in the biomes dialog.|
|1.3.004||27 Oct 2016||Many new sounds have been added, including sounds of creatures in the biomes.|
|1.2.010||26 Jun 2016||Beetles Biome was introduced.|
Now you can send resources to another player at the biome.
Added chat: you can press Enter and send messages to another player at the biome.
Resources gained by dwarves become temporarily unavailable for another player to steal them.
The items made by one player are inaccessible for some time for collecting by another player.
Restart level button now unavailable at the biomes.
Fixed incorrect displaying of waiting multiplayer icon over the main stockpile.
Fixed generation of the biomes chests in the air.
Fixed several bugs with opening chests at the boost rooms and magic forest spell at the biomes.
Added colonies of giant ants.
|1.2.005||13 Jan 2016||The initial quantity of resources at the entrance to biomes is increased.|
Fixed: problem of synchronization of construction of blocks.
Fixed: it was possible to connect each other with different versions of the game
|1.2.004||24 Dec 2015||Increase in number of dwarves in the biome to 6.|
Fixed: appearance of ending dialogue in the biome when it should not be.
|1.2.001||19 Dec 2015||Introduced as the first multiplayer environment of the game.|